Thursday, October 21, 2010

Post 001

Now, tomorrow is the first midterm of our third year computer science courses.  Naturally, I'm not REALLY studying at a time like this.

It's just strange, how I never really feel that sense of urgency until I'm really sitting in the exam room.  However, there is method to my madness.  You see, with age, my ability to comprehend anything has dulled.  Naturally, while some people may have the ability to catch on with what my AI prof is talking about in AI and be able to finish those assignments, I'm sitting there scratching my head bald, and still stuck without a clue as to how to finish it.  I'd like to say that the assignments are cryptic, but they're really not.  They're just....a lot of work.

So, to conquer this large problem of mine, I've decided to start studying earlier.  In fact, I've been studying since last week.  I've had so much time to study, I don't see a point in studying anymore.  I'm not 100% ready per se, but at least I think I can tackle most problems.  However, despite all of this, (the course is on networking bee-tee-dub) I've managed to find application use to this.

You see, the only thing I can ever pick up from that class is that UDP is bad and TCP is good.  Let's put it this way, that point is fine.  However, it does not summarize the whole point of why we still use UDP.  UDP, for those who don't understand, stands for User Datagram Protocol.  In reality, it's "unreliable" because basically, it's a type of connection where the data being sent from point A does NOT have to make it to point B.  However, in the modern world, it is absolutely a useful tool, especially when using VoIP, Skype, or even gaming.  You don't REALLY need all bits of data to reach to the other side, you just want the entire program to go.  You want it to be fast.  In fact, UDP is so good, it actually describes some real life situations.

I'd just want to point out, that at this point, if you've followed along, and you don't understand, I'm sorry.  I apologize because this blog is meant for computer science students.  Particularly to those at Ryerson University.  The jokes tend to work better that way.  I'm also not naming names of professors or courses because it's just not right.

You know, if you ever forget how UDP works, it's very easy.  The professor that's easiest to identify for all students in the computer science classes is none other than the one who teaches databases.  I'm not advertising it, but you have to take that course at some point in time.  However, this professor and I have a very UDP relationship.  In many cases, I've tuned out of his many rants in class.  He is a very insightful man, don't get me wrong, but I never understood his point of view well enough to make a judgment on whether or not his arguments are sound or not.  Unfortunately, this professor seems to have a very UDP relationship with us too.  Many times, it seems like most of the things we tell him, don't quite reach him whenever we ask him for help in and out of the office.  UDP is very great.  There is no connection needed to be established.  In this case, it's very true for most of us sitting through those lectures.  In between the many rants about the many programming languages "A, B, C, D, E, Java, Dava, Bava", the wall kicking, or how menus can be found at restaurants, I have to admit, there never was a connection required between the professor and most people in our class.  It's just basically, the lecture, the project, and the probable office hours.  Based on that argument alone, I am certain that most students have gravely misunderstood our prof.  We should not be angered with his methods.  We should be angered with our connection.  I mean, what more did we expect from a UDP connection?

Good luck on the midterm tomorrow, and take care!

Once again, no offense!

No comments:

Post a Comment